Every jiu-jiteiro has their hips and back encumbered. The only thing that varies is the level of chronic pain and where it’s localized. But good stretching can preempt that and even help in existing cases of sciatica, hip and lower back pain.
The pain from lower back spreading downwards to the limbs and feet can often be alleviated by a deep piriformis stretch – a stretch that releases tight priformis muscles and releaxes the sciatica nerve.
1. Supine Piriformis Stretch
1. Lie on your back with your legs flat.
2. Pull the affected leg toward the chest, holding the knee with the hand on the same side of the body and grabbing the ankle with the other hand.
3. Pull the knee towards the opposite shoulder until stretch is felt.
4. Hold for 30 seconds, then slowly return to starting position.
There are many variations of this stretch, but here is a good video to demonstrate:
2. Standing Piriformis Stretch
1. If you have trouble balancing, stand with your back against a wall, and walk your feet forward 24 inches. Position your knees over your ankles, then lower your hips 45 degrees toward the floor.
2. Lift your right foot off the ground and place the outside of your right ankle on your left knee.
3. Lean forward and lower your chest toward your knees while keeping your back straight. 4. Stop when you feel the glute stretch. 5. Hold for 30-60 seconds, then switch legs and do the same.
3. Outer Hip Piriformis Stretch
1. Lie on your back and bend the right knee.
2. Use the left hand to pull the knee over to the left side. Keep your back on the ground, and as you do so, you should feel the stretch in the hip and buttocks.
3. Hold for 20-30 seconds, and repeat on the other side.
Who better to show you how to use his own brand of pressure passing and finesse to stop the Z Guard than half guard master Tom DeBlass?! And if you thought he was only a No Gi player, you’ve got another thing coming. In his new 4 volume “High Tech BJJ in the Gi” instructional that just hit the BJJ Fanatics charts, he’s going to give you all of his best Gi techniques from sweeps, to passes, to submissions and everything in between. And keep in mind, everything he shows in the Gi can easily translate to No Gi, so its like getting two instructionals for the price of one.
Learn Marcelo Garcia’s Complete Butterfly Guard – You’ll Have An Unfair Advantage As You Successfully Attack Any Opponent (Large Or Small) -As He Has Proven Time After Time
- Get a total masterclass in the most successful butterfly guard of all time, as Marcelo Garcia teaches how to attack and defend from his favorite guard position.
- The 4-time ADCC Champion and 5-time IBJJF World Champion is one of the best Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competitors ever, and he was known for using his incredible technique to beat world champions way bigger than him, sometimes as much as twice his size.