For famed MMA trainer Firas Zahabi, Gymnastics transfers more in MMA or BJJ than heavy weight lifting. He says that heavy weights will drain your central nervous system. Never lift your max if you’re a martial artist.
He is instead a big believer in body weights. He believes that gymnastics give you incredible stability
Firas recommends the following books for fitness for martial arts:
– Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starret
– The New Power Program By Michael Colgan
– The End of Dieting by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
– Speed Power Endurance by Brian Mckenzie
– Periodization by Tudor Bompa
– The Gymnastic Body by Christopher Sommer
– Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline
Firas also believes hyper flexibility is useful, but mobility is far more important.
He is also not a fan of Yoga for BJJ:
I know a couple of guys who do a lot of jiujitsu and a lot of yoga, people love it. I find those guys are super, super weak.
I hate to say it, I’m not trying to disrespect anyone or any art, but when I grab a hold of those guys, I just crush them. I grab them, and I feel they’re really easy to manipulate.”
I know Yogis are going to be like “we have plenty of strength!”
Go into a gymnastics club, and then tell me if you’re strong. Not only do Gymnasts have the flexibility, but they also possess incredible strength.