Steve Maxwell is a physical educator, coach, martial artist and nomad.
He is a 5th degree Jiu Jitsu blackbelt under Relson Gracie and has trained with some of the best in the business incl. Rickson Gracie, Helio Gracie, Xande and Saulo Ribeiro, Kron Gracie and many others.
He is the first American black belt under Grandmaster Relson Gracie, the first American certified to teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and the first American to teach Kettle Bell classes in the US. Professor Maxwell is a true American BJJ pioneer and lends insight on fitness, self defense and longevity in Jiu-Jitsu.
He was recently a guest on the best BJJ podcast Grappling central podcast where he talked about various interesting topics.
- His recent trip to Australia / the BJJ scene there
- Being bullied as a kid
- Discovering Wrestling
- Earning his Masters Degree in Exercise Science
- Entering the fitness business
- Discovering Jiu-Jitsu through the Gracies In Action VHS tapes
- His gym in Philadelphia “Maxercise Fitness”, the first BJJ school on the east coast
- Traveling to Torrance, CA to train with the Gracies and the Machados
- Tensions in the Gracie garage
- Self defense
- His time spent with Grandmaster Helio
- Jiu-Jitsu vs other styles / Jiu-Jitsu vs Jiu-Jitsu
- The initial intent behind the UFC
- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu weapons defenses
- Sport Jiu-Jitsu on the streets
- Surviving a fight vs wining a fight
- Longevity in Jiu-Jitsu / Training smart
- Training concepts for older guys
- Fitness in Jiu-Jitsu / Recreation vs Exercise
- Specific Strength Training for Jiu-Jitsu
- Kettle Bell training
- The importance of ego management, especially with age
- Diet, food combining, The Gracie Diet
- Why he will never go to a modern Western doctor / The problems with the pharmaceutical industry
- The benefits of periodic fasting
- The one difference between his diet and the Gracie Diet
- A diet secret to make fat “come flying off you”
- His Pan American and World Champion son, Zack Maxwell / Teaching his son Jiu-Jitsu.
- “Jiu-Jitsu Dads” / How to not ruin Jiu-Jitsu for your kids
Listen to the show: