1. Hi Magid, can you please introduce yourself to the BJJ Community of Eastern Europe?
My name is Magid Hage IV, I’m 19 years old, BJJ rank = black belt for one month now. I’m from Brazil but I live in California for about 14 years now. I train in Gracie Barra Escondido.
2. What’s your Jiu-Jitsu story?
I was introduced to JJ when I was very young by my dad and I was in and out of the sport but when I was ten years old I fell in love with it and started training everyday ever since. My dad used to teach at a local Gracie barra in San Diego and I’ve been training in adult classes ever since I was 10yrs old bc kids classes didn’t exist.
3. What are your other interests apart from Jiu-Jitsu. Do you have time to a have a normal social life with all the training and competing.
During the summer I surf about everyday and in the winter I try to snowboard as much as possible..I’m very in to that kind of stuff.
4. How would you describe your Jiu-Jitsu style?
5. How long has that baseball choke setup been part of your arsenal?
I started doing the baseball choke when I was 12yrs old because it was the only thing that worked with the big guys when I was a kid.
6. In your opinion, how important is it to practice/ drill some dangerous sneaky submissions versus basic techniques like collar choke or armbar from mount.
I feel like the basics are the most important thing to practice because the basics always work, but you gotta have a couple sneaky moves in you game!
7. where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Hopefully with 5 world titles LOL, a college degree, and my own gym!
8. Please tell us about your father Magid Sr.
My dad is actually the 3rd and im the 4th.. He started training the year I was born in 1993 back in brazil with Daniel Valverde, after we moved to the US in 1999 he stopped training for about 3 years to get us settled. He has been an amazing supporter in everything I do and my biggest fan!
9. How different is it to compete in a black belt division compared to a brown belt? Please share your impressions so far. What is your competition and life plan for 2013?
Well at first I thought I was gonna be all fun and games with no pressure because I was “fresh meat” but then this happen…and now I have to watch my back because everybody wants a piece of me! As far as being nervous, I’m not at all because I’ve always wanted to compete with the best in the world so it’s like a dream come true. And I train with otavio Sousa, and romulo barral everyday so I kno nobody can kick my ass as bad as they do. And as far as 2013 I WILL be on the podium at ever ibjjf tournament I compete in this year which is hopefully going to be a ton!and I’m looking forward to all the cool/fun black belt tournaments such as metamoris, copa podio and many others that I will have the chance to do!!
10. What is the origin of your name and last name?
I’m from brazil.. But my great grandfather immigrated from Lebanon to brazil when he was around 20yrs and his dad(my great great grandpa) was the original Magid..
11. If you want to thank somebody or sponsors, feel free
I would like to thank all the team at Gracie Barra Escondido for being my practice for this choke, and also everybody at my amazing training camp ran by Romulo Barral, a big thanks to my main training partner Otavio Sousa and my dad for being my only sponsor so far.
12. Thanks Magid and all the best!