Martial arts is a great way to get fit and learn self-defence, it is a popular sport and fitness activity around the world with millions of people participating in it every day. While most martial arts are relatively safe it often involves physical contact which can lead to injuries if proper safety precautions are not taken. One way to prevent such accidents is by using a martial art mat during training or matches.
Have you ever wondered why martial arts mats are so important?
We often overlook the importance of having a good mat, but it is actually one of the most important pieces of equipment you can have. A martial arts mat provides cushioning and protection for your body, which can help reduce the risk of injuries. In addition, they also provide traction and stability, which can help improve your performance.
In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of using a martial arts mat and how to take good care of them to make them last.
The Different Types of Judo Mats
There are several types of Judo Mats for sale, these are:
- PVC Mats: these are the most popular type of martial arts mats and are made from PVC foam. They are soft, durable, and provide good cushioning.
- Rubber Mats: rubber mats are also very popular and are made from natural or synthetic rubber. They are durable but can be a bit stiffer than PVC mats.
- Foam Mats: foam mats are made from a variety of materials, including foam rubber, PVC foam, and urethane. They are soft and provide good cushioning, but can be less durable than other types of mats.
- Mats with Vinyl Coating: these mats have a vinyl coating that makes them easy to clean and provides extra cushioning. They are often used in competition because they provide better traction than other types of mats.
- Tatami Mats: tatami mats are made from woven rice straw, which makes them softer than other types of mats. They were traditionally used for Judo training but are now also popular for use in gyms and schools.
The Benefits of Using a Martial Arts Mat
Generally speaking, using a Judo Mat while training martial arts can help reduce the risk of injuries during practice and competitions. Aside from that, there are other benefits:
- Protection: one of the most important benefits of using a martial arts mat is that it helps protect your body from injuries. Mat cushioning absorbs shock, which can help reduce the risk of injuries to your joints and muscles.
- Stability: martial arts mats also provide stability, which can help improve your performance. They keep you grounded and provide traction, which helps prevent slips and falls.
- Cleaning: mats with a vinyl coating are easy to clean and maintain. All you need is a damp cloth or a hose to rinse them off.
- Portability: most martial arts mats are lightweight and portable, so you can take them with you wherever you go. They’re also easy to store when not in use.
- Versatility: martial arts mats are versatile and can be used for a variety of activities, including wrestling, gymnastics, cheerleading, and more.
These benefits certainly make using a martial arts mat a wise decision, whether you’re a beginner or an experienced fighter. Using mats is a must. This is the first and most important step to having a safe training program.
If you are looking for high-quality judo mats visit BRITISH MARTIAL ARTS MATS and get your new Judo Mat now.
How To Take Care Of Your Martial Arts Mat
Martial arts mats require some basic care in order to keep them in good condition. Here are a few tips:
- Clean your mat regularly with a damp cloth or hose. Do not use harsh chemicals or detergents, as they can damage the surface of the mat.
- Allow your mat to dry completely before storing it.
- Do not fold your mat when it is wet, as this can damage the surface.
- Store your mat in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid exposing your mat to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
With proper care, your martial arts mat will last for many years.
Tips for Training in a Judo Mat
Now that you know about the benefits of using a martial arts mat, here are some tips for training on one:
- Wear clothes that are suitable for Judo. Avoid wearing loose clothing or jewelry, as this can get caught in your mat and cause injuries.
- Use the correct size mat for your body type and weight. Heavy judoka should use a thicker mat, while lighter ones can get by with thinner mats.
- Make sure to warm up before training on your judo mat. This will aid in the prevention of accidents and enhance your performance.
- Keep hydrated throughout the day, especially if you are training in hot weather or high altitudes. You need to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and help your muscles recover.
- Train safely and responsibly, always using proper technique. Remember that a martial arts mat is not a substitute for safety equipment, such as headgear and mouthguards.
Injuries are an unfortunate part of any sport, but with a little common sense and caution, you can help minimize the risk of injuries while training on your judo mat.
Remember, Judo mats will only mitigate the risk of injury. You should always train safely and responsibly, using proper techniques to avoid injuries.
Martial arts mats provide a number of benefits that can improve your training. They are durable, help protect your flooring, and provide cushioning to help reduce the impact of blows. If you’re looking for an effective way to train and protect your floors and yourself and start investing in high quality and reliable judo mats. We are looking forward to hearing from you.