Guest post by Daniel Vaughan UCLA undergraduate, judo brown belt under Mike Verdugo and BJJ black belt under Master Julio Cesar Pereira. Daniel is an instructor at M3Fight Academy.
Back control in Jiu Jitsu is a very powerful position. It has various ways to attack submissions so let’s check out an alternative back control, the straight jacket from Gordon Ryan under John Danaher.
1) Fall to the under hook side instead of the over hook side. Why? The under hook can’t be pulled over the top of the head and keep your head tight prevents the person from getting their back to the mat to escape.
2) You topside body triangle or for the shorter legged friends, get one foot on the hip and one leg across. Go one on one on the under hook side. Attack a single arm RNC choke with your over hook arm.
3) Attacking the neck will get you a predicable response and make it easy to grab the hand when they try to counter to isolate it.
4) Feed and pass the arm to the bottom under hook.
5) After feeding to top arm to the bottom under hook release and hunt the bottom arm with the over hook. You should now how a straight jacket control.
6) Hip out slightly to change the angle and trap their arm with your foot. This leaves one of their arms trapped with your leg and the other trapped with the other arm. Go to two on one on the bottom side arm. You now have both arms out of the mix.
7) From this point with the bottom arm trapped with your under hook and the top trapped with your leg, you attack with the following: RNC, arm bar and triangle from the back.
This is an extremely powerful position with an array of attacks. Hopefully this sheds some light on the straight jacket position from back control, good luck working the position! Any tips or comments? Let us know!
Marcelo Garcia is a 9-time World Champion and known for getting to the back and finishing with the rear naked choke, even against much bigger opponents. This four-part system covers taking the back, jumping back takes, maintaining back control, and finishing from the back. Learn Marcelo Gracia’s famous Back Attack System. USE PROMO CODE “BJJEE TO GET 10% OFF.