Things are going from bad to worse for Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares. Fired by the UFC Last week, the athlete of Team Nogueira is out of ADCC, which takes place this weekend in Beijing, China. This is because, the organization decided to cut the invited fighter after the incident in the UFC, on the 9th of October, according to information collected by tatame, on Tuesday (15).
Toquinho had conditioned his participation to the Worlwide Grappling event to his performance in the fight against Mike Pierce. However, the difficulty to talk to the fighter allied with the backlash from his resignation means that the organizers of ADCC decided to cancel his guaranteed spot from the 2011 edition were he faced Andre Galvao in his weight division final (and lost).
“He said he would fight depending on how his fight (with Pierce) went,” Wagner Gomes, the secretary of ADCC in Brazil. “I sent him several messages, but he didn’t respond. They wanted him there, but he didn’t reply any of my messages or calls.”
According to Gomes, ADCC still wanted Palhares to be part of the tournament despite of what happened during his fight with Pierce.
“They called me and said ‘ask (Palhares) if he still wants to fight,” he said.
In the 2011 edition, Palhares came under heavy criticism for having cranked the heel hook after a restart vs David Avellan. This lead to serious injury for Avellan. He also slapped Galvao a couple of times.